Sunday, May 21, 2006

Old Oak Methodist Church

One of the ways that politics (at least of the Labour variety) can interfere with your life, is that most Sunday mornings tend to be devoted to knocking on doors and talking to residents. While I always enjoy talking to people about East Acton (as you may have guessed), these Sunday sessions mean that I don’t often get to the weekly service at my local church – Old Oak Methodist. Today, given that it’s only two weeks from the last elections, I decided to go to church rather than do politics.

My family’s history has been defined by Old Oak – my parents were married there as was my sister, my dad, my sister and I were baptised there, and my paternal grandparents had their funerals there. I was moved by the service, rich with these memories, and particularly when looking up at the cross above the altar which my dad made from beams of the former Old Oak Church which burned down in 1977.

The church site in The Fairway is eighty years old this year, although the church name comes from its original site (from 1922) on the Old Oak Estate across Old Oak Common Lane in LB Hammersmith and Fulham. The current modern church building was built after the fire, with the neighbouring sheltered accommodation being created on the site of the old church hall.

As with many free churches, the congregation these days is not as big as it was when I was a more regular attender, but the welcome was as warm as ever. That said, it was a little spooky to be described as ‘little Philip’ by ladies who remember me from my childhood.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi

like your blog

I live and work in Acton

Acton is busy city

I am working as Man With Van in Acton


Man and Van Acton


I have big van and its clean and i have lot of straps and blanks to protect your stuff.

I am hard working and help with loading and unloading too.

So if you need help with moving please remember my website

http://www.removalsmanvanhire.com/man-van-hire-acton.html

Call 07894536780

I can provide Moving Boxes - I have Tool Box i can disassemble furniture or washing machine etc

Removal Van Acton, Removals Van Acton Removal Company Acton Man with Van Acton Moving Company Acton Moving Home Acton Moving Help Acton man and van Acton, flat removals Acton, House removals Acton, small removals Acton, man with van hire Acton,