Saturday, December 03, 2005

A Walk Through Acton Cemetery

Walked to the North Acton advice surgery at St Gabriels Church. More people attended than normal, given that it is one of the first local surgeries since we delivered the latest edition of East Acton Labour News in the area. This has got an unusually good reception, largely because it gave local residents the welcome news that the residents-only parking scheme has been agreed. I'd already had a number of phone calls during the week thanking us for the news, and four more people turned up at the surgery to talk about parking and traffic issues locally.



The first world war memorial in Acton Cemetery

I walked back via Acton Cemetery. The Cemetery lies between Park Royal Road and Chase Road in the ward, and is probably unique amongst London cemeteries in having a tube line run through it. The original cemetery dates from 1895, and includes a fine first world war memorial and an attractive chapel. It’s now largely closed to new burials, although there clearly have been a couple this year in plots bought before closure. The most notable grave for Actonians is probably that of Joseph Sparks – who was MP for Acton from 1945 to 1959, and an Acton Councillor or Alderman from 1934 to 1965. The old cemetery (south of the tube line) has many fine gravestones from the time when Acton was a suburb, whereas the newer section to the north has a number of unmarked graves. One of these is that of my great-grandmother Margaret Hunter Portwood, who died in 1933 in the house in which I now live.

The grave of Joe Sparks and his wife Dora - Mayor and Mayoress of Acton when I was born

I was impressed with the continuing high quality of maintenance of the cemetery. Back in 1992, the then (Tory) Council proposed to heavily reduce the maintenance, and I led one of the largest lobbies I have ever seen locally to defeat them. Ever since, I’ve kept a keen eye on this issue, given what the 1992 campaign showed about the affection and respect in which Acton Cemetery is held.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

DIS there a record of graves listed in Acton Cemetery Park Royal? I am trying to trace my family. I think my Grandfather born 1873 was buried there. His name was William Henry LOVELOCK.

Anonymous said...

The 140 war casualty graves in Acton Cemetery are listed on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site (www.cwgc.org). LB Ealing Cemeteries section have a list of all those buried there, and in my experience are very efficient in finding records from a name and burial year. They can be emailed at cemeteries@ealing.gov.uk

I hope this is helpful

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for the information regarding Acton cemetery. I am an old Actonian who started work at J.Knowles in Church Road with your father. Give my regards to him.
ERIC LOVELOCK

Diana Bush said...

We have found the burial site of 3 of our family members - my grandmother and her parents who died well before I was born 73 yrs ago. This is an amazing find on the last day of my European holiday from New Zealand when 1 of my intentions was to track down family history.
Thank you Diana Martha Stone (Bush) New Zealand